Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Je t'aime Paris

The first time Paris and I met it wasn't meant to be. The weather was cold and wet, I was sick, and we didn't meet very many people. Frankly I was happy to leave. It's been exactly three years. This time around has been very different. Though it's still rainy it's not quite as cold. I'm not sick. I actually speak french (a little anyways). And the brothers and sisters we've met have been incredible. We're staying with Edyta. She's from Poland. She is the cutest little thing you could ever meet. Her boyfriend Jean (togolese) is friends with Yahli so that's how we met.

Sunday we said goodbye to our 'family' in Tours. Yahli said with us till the very last moment when the train began to leave the station. I was very sad to leave. After we dropped our things off at Edyta's house I dropped Channing at the Louvre and went to see a cathedral that is famous for it's stained glass. (will post pics later on flickr). It felt like I was inside a kaleidoscope. I walked around a bit more, past notre dame, ect. Then I joined Channing in the Louvre. The poor thing looked exhausted. We tried to find the tetragrammaton but couldn't. And of course most of my favorite rooms were closed for renovation. After that we went back to Edyta's and had dinner with another couple from her hall. It was so nice because for the first time I felt like a was actually a part of the group conversation. It was like validation for being here a month. Like it was actually worth it.

Monday was a great day. First stop was Le cimetière du Père-Lachaise. Like a city for the dead, there are street names, and a map too. We saw Molière, Edith Piaf and many more. Then we headed off to Montmartre. We walked around and saw were Van gogh lived, heard Bob Dylan song coming from one of the apartments, saw Eric satie's home and too many other things to name. I bought to music boxes. And Channing saw the Eiffel tower from the top of Montmartre. So of course our next stop was there. We got there just as it was getting dark. In the line, to the front of us were three Russian guys, the oldest was the father of the other two. Though I don't think he spoke any english he was such a gentle man. And behind us were two American ladies from the south. We were able to tell them that we were Witnesses and why we were in France. At the top of the tower the wind was glacial. But it was great. The whole city was lit up.

Tonight we're going to meeting with Edyta and then our last meal in France! I can't believe it's over. See you very soon.

-S

4 comments:

  1. Its been such a pleasure reading your blog. I felt like I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my world cant wait to have you guys home. I am beggining to form tears hope you guys found my bon bons lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Andrea! And Gaby....all the candy was called bon bons so it made it impossible. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sweet, Summer Spirit- Not only are you an inspired photographer, but an inspiring writer as well. Thank you for sharing a tiny bit of this experience. My hope is to be there with you one day when this miserable system of things is only a memory. Much love, Your adoring Auntie Kim

    ReplyDelete